Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What buttons to use and what shoes to wear with a man's pea coat?

I had the fortune of being handed down my father's wool coat when he was in the Navy in the early-60's. I understand that a man should never button the bottom (third) button, always button the middle (second) button, and the top (first) can be used in certain circumstances. I'm six-feet tall and a fairly thin guy, but do those rules apply to pea coats as well? It's double-breasted, so I was unsure whether or not it's better to have all three buttons button and if so, which side goes on top (I've heard for females it's right over left)?





Additionally, I'll be wearing it during the day, so my attire is pretty informal casual usually with a navy sweater and some tannish pants, etc. Any ideas of what shoes to wear or does it even matter?

What buttons to use and what shoes to wear with a man's pea coat?
It should be buttoned the same way you button your dress shirt. Does that make sense?





I think buttoning all three is OK, if it fits. Leave the bottom one open if it is more comfortable.





Again, trim and tidy is in.





Congrats on being thin. i think it will look best buttoned. Double breasted things look strange on men unbuttoned.





I wear my peacoat (dark navy, as your probably is) with dark brown or khaki pants and brown shoes. I think they look terrible with black combinations.





Again, invest in a few scarves to spice up your outfits. Thinner, plain colored or less bold plaid wool scarves are in, as are plain colored ribbed cotton scarves. Those bold striped scarves are OUT!
Reply:Well, if you're in New York like I am, and you're walking down the street while the wind is blowing, you're going to button up every button you have.





But from a fashion stand-point, it's common for tall men to button all three buttons. The suit-jacket/sport-coat rules do not apply. With a pea coat it looks very classy with the jacket buttoned-up. The top (fourth) button should not be closed though. That looks awkward.





As for the shoes, I recommend any boot style. Lase-up boots look really nice with a pea coat regardless if you're in jeans or khakis. Save the dress shoes for a formal overcoat.





Good luck!



teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive